parties & interest groups
- This unit hones in on a number of topics and issues, beginning with an examination of the political parties and the two-party system, the function of political parties, party platforms and conventions, political action committees (PACs), campaigning and campaign finance, and the role of the parties in the legislative and decision-making process.
- Additional focus will be on the role and power of interest groups, how they form, what they do, and how they affect public policy.
- Does the two-party system and the modern election process speak to the needs and political desires of the nation?
- What effect do interest groups have on the American political system, and do they more promote or undermine democracy?
- Political Parties and the Two-Party System
- Congressional Elections and Apportionment
- The Primaries and Party Conventions
- The Electoral College
- Divided Government
- Campaign Finance, PACs, and 527s
- Interest Groups
Elections and Campaigns
Interest Groups and Campaign Finance